Our Chemical Peel procedures are a safe, non-invasive way to treat acne
Acne Treatments Edmonton: The Do’s & Don’ts of Acne
f you have ever battled with Acne you can relate to the physical and emotional toll it can take on you. Acne can also be a sensitive subject to approach when searching for the answers and solutions for this condition. So in this blog series titled “the Do’s & Don’ts of Acne” we will be looking at the most common causes of acne and giving out some PRO TIPS in hopes to shed some light on this rather touchy subject.
The most important thing when beginning your search is understanding your own skin condition and the source of your condition.
In this segment of our series we will begin by looking at one of the contributing factors: Diet and Nutrition.
Diet can play a major role in aggravating conditions of the skin, acne being one of them. Your diet may not necessarily be the cause but it can either help treat the condition or interfere, and set-back treatment. Remember that anything ingested by the body effects on major organs, and with your skin being the largest and most visible of all, it is the window into your internal health.
Studies have shown that acneic skin is deprived of important essential vitamins and nutrients. To help address this chemical imbalance you must restore healthy levels within your body. Now let’s get to the “ the do’s and don’ts of the anti-acne diet.
- Vitamin E. In studies, acneic skin shows to be deprived of this essential antioxidant. Natural food sources include: almonds, hazelnuts, spinach, and kale
- Vitamin C.. This natural antioxidant helps reduce inflammation and redness. Natural food sources include: citrus fruits, strawberries, raspberries, papaya, and pineapple
- Vitamin B3.. This natural element aids the body in transforming different foods into energy. Natural food sources include: mushrooms, potatoes, whole grains, meats and alternatives
- Omega 3 Fatty Acid.. Omega 3 levels are lacking in the average diet and are essential to proper skin health. Natural sources include: fish oils, salmon, free range meats and eggs
- Water.. Keep your skin hydrated by keeping the cells within your body hydrated as well. Your body needs to maintain a water balance in order to carry out its daily functions
- Sugars. Food high in sugar can spike healthy insulin levels in the body. This can have a negative effect on acne and worsen the condition
- Dairy. Dairy products can have an effect on the amount of oil produced in the skin, so be conscious of your dairy intake. For other sources of calcium try include leafy greens in your diet
I recommend focusing on one area at a time, this will help you pinpoint possible sources and treat appropriately. Once you have taken care of possible internal imbalances, controlling the external condition will be much easier.
Book a free consultation with our skin health experts and begin your journey to clear and healthy skin. We will help you develop a skin health plan that includes homecare, medical esthetic procedures, and maintenance.
Love, Peace, and Great Skin!
(780) 885 7108
Anti Aging Tips
This article discusses anti aging tips. As some of you may know, we have a “Ask Dérmica” category on our blog. We always reply to our followers, and sometimes publish an entry when it pertains to a popular topic. This week we received an entry which we feel is a topic we would like to shed some light on. Thanks to “Sadly Sagging” for the latest entry!
“Sadly Sagging” asks “What are your best anti aging tips?”
In order to share her story, we will give you some of her details:
- 35 years old
In response to “Sadly Sagging”, we reply:
Dear Sadly Sagging,
Thank you for your question. According to your entry, our recommendations for you are few, yet can be difficult to accomplish.
Firstly, we recommend you try and get a good night sleep. During our sleep, we go through REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep which is basically our brain going through all of the information we acquired and experienced throughout the day and deleting unnecessary information. This is a whole body experience which means all of your cells require rest, including your skin cells.
When you don’t get good shut-eye, your skin cells don’t get to regenerate which decreases your skin’s ability to recover from daily damage which in turn doubles your signs of aging.
Secondly, we recommend you try to decrease your sugar intake. Sugar binds to the cells in your skin and produces.
Advanced Glycation End (AGE) products through the process of glycation, making cells stiffer, less pliable and more subject to damage and premature aging. Sugar kills collagen and elastin, and slows down the body’s defense system and natural supplies of antioxidants to your body’s defense towards environmental attacks such as UV exposure, environmental pollutants, cosmetic influences, etc.
Thirdly, we know this one is especially tough during the summer months, tan responsibly. We would like to take this opportunity to dismiss the myth that you don’t tan if you wear sun block. This is UNTRUE!! Allow us to shed some light:
- When you engage in unprotected tanning, you have a 74% higher risk of developing melanomas, a.k.a. skin cancer. Melanomas are skin lesions that can develop into carcinogenic regions; always have you moles checked out
- Unprotected tanning can lead to a leathery appearance to your skin due to dehydration
- Unprotected tanning can cause deep internal damage to your skin. FYI- every time your body creates a tan, your body is sending melanin cells to the surface of your skin to create a protective barrier that acts like sunglasses to your skin, your skin’s natural defense to harmful UV rays. In other words, your tan is truly your skin showing signs of its defense against an attack
- Today’s sun is more damaging to your skin then it was 20 years ago due to the depleting ozone
- The damage you are causing now will surface in 5 years in the form of sun spots, age spots(which can be confused with liver spots), and increased freckling on the skin
- Unprotected tanning destroys collagen and elastin which add to the suppleness and elasticity and volume to your skin
Finally, the most difficult tip of all, you have to try and decrease (if not quit) your tobacco intake. We all know the downfall of smoking, but to some of us, we may need to hear what it does to our physicality before we can really understand, so here goes:
- Asphyxiation of the skin, blocking it from proper flow of oxygen, blood circulation and nutrients such as H2O
- Premature aging such as age spots, deep wrinkles, creping around the labial area due to repeated usage of the oral muscles and constant exposure to cigarette toxins within the tobacco smoke
- Crows feet due to squinting to keep smoke out of your eyes
- Smoking causes dilation of the blood vessels in the eyes making your eyes look blood shot
- Vasodilation (dilation of the blood vessels of the capillaries along the surface of the skin particularly on the cheek and nose)
- Sallow skin and lips (a yellowish dull appearance and decrease in vibrancy to the skin). For women that are concerned with the fullness of your skin, you may want to consider what smoking is doing to that full, plump, youthful pout
Hope this helps! And remember, at Dérmica, we offer an array of services and products to help you get a leg up on your fight against anti aging!
Love, Peace, and Great Skin!
(780) 885 7108
How do I know if I’m a good candidate for IPL/ Laser Hair Removal?
This is a very common question, as not everyone is eligible to receive Laser/IPL treatments. Aside from considering your medical history and current skin care regimen, there are other determining factors.
Firstly, the technician will categorize your skin tone using the Fitzpatrick Scale. The scale begins at a Level-I, such as Nicole Kidman, and gradually increases to the deeper tones of a Level-VI, such as Lupita Nyong’o.
The scale predicts how your skin will react to light-based treatments and the intensity in which to treat your skin. However, there are limitations to treating beyond a level-V.
Adverse reactions such as burns and permanent scarring occur due to the pigment in the skin absorbing the energy emitted by the laser.
The second major factor in determining eligibility for treatment is the tone of the hair present.
Having a greater contrast between the colour of your hair and skin increases effectiveness. Additionally, a greater contrast between the colour of the present hair and skin tone increases reduction rate of your treatment and can shorten sessions required.
In order to successfully be treated for IPL/ Laser Hair Removal there must be a visible presence of melanin within the hair. Therefore, natural shades of light blonde, light red, grey, and white hair cannot be 100% successfully treated with IPL/ Laser hair removal.
Your technician will adjust the settings accordingly per session as your hair colour and density changes throughout the course of your treatment.
Our technicians are educated in Laser/IPL therapy and the anatomy & physiology of skin. This allows us to properly assess, customize, and execute your treatments. Above all, it helps deliver results without compromising the integrity of your skin.
For any questions or concerns regarding IPL/ Laser Hair Removal , IPL Phototherapy, or Skin Care, give us a call at 780.885.7108 or submit your questions in our “Ask Dérmica” feature!
Book your permanent hair removal service!
Love, Peace, and Great Skin!
(780) 885 7108
Rally up your girlfriends for a spa party chez…dérmica ;)
Dérmica Spa Party
I recently met a milestone in my years on the home planet, the big 3-0! I remember the days when 30 seemed ancient to my juvenile mind, but since welcoming my 30’s I have come to realize that the best has yet to come and the journey there shall be an adventurous one!
As we grow so does our appetite (and budget ;) ) for self-nurturing and meaningful connections with those we take along with us on this journey. Our selection in events and venues become more refined, the Old School now becomes OUR school, and our house parties are no longer BYOB, but rather “Themed”.
I’m sure many of you have had the opportunity to attend a “Themed” party such as the Ugly Sweater Party or Onesie Party, but last I checked it’s 2015 so out with the old and in with the new!
So what are the ladies of our generation, and Edmonton in particular- doing these days to entertain?
Well along with sipping on some vino at a “Naked Lady Parties” adding to the selection for Ladies Nights is the SPA PARTY!
What is a “Spa Party” you ask? Allow me to elaborate on what this classy event entails.
Typically, the spa is reserved for exclusive access to party guests for some private R&R amongst your closest gals. Incorporating service themes such as Peel Party, Wax Party, or Laser Facial Party into the event is also popular, and can add to the experience by keeping the convo rolling!
For regular spa goers the possibilities seem endless and trying out a new service can be a little out of one’s comfort zone. Perfect time to call for back up, get a little moral support from the gals, and make it a fun event to remember. The more seasoned services such as bikini grooming, chemical peels, laser photofacials, injectables, and fillers tend to be common themes for spa parties, as you may remember from the Real Housewives of OC “BOTOX™ Party” episode. The housewives indulge in some bubbly, vials, and of course a cup of drama.
If primping, pampering, quality time and feeling great at any age is your motto, make this your year to live it up and try something new. Host a Dérmica Spa Party for your next ladies get together, B-day, Promotion Celebration, or whatever the occasion and make it one to remember!
Add to your celebration and book a room at The Metterra Hotel and save 20% off your stay with your Dérmica Spa Party!
Call us for details!