DIY…blackhead extractions at home!
Are you ready to try some DIY extractions?
- 1 Tsp of baking soda
- 1 cup (450mL) of water
- 1 litre of boiling water
- Large bowl or basin
- Large towel
Prepping your skin:
- Start with a clean face (cleansed and exfoliated).
- Wipe your skin with a toner or Witch Hazel prior to applying the solution.
Mixing & applying the solution:
- Combine the baking soda and water until it becomes clouded. The baking soda will quickly settle at the bottom of your mixing bowl. This is fine, just give it a stir again right before you apply.
- Using a flat makeup brush, mask brush, or cotton swabs, carefully dab a thin layer of the solution onto congested areas. The solution can be runny, cover your eyes with a tissue if applying to your forehead.
- Let the solution set for 5 minutes.
Steaming the pores:
- Carefully pour the boiling water into the bowl/basin.
- Hover your face approximately 12 inches above the bowl.
- Drape a large towel over your head to ensure the steam remains enclosed.
** Combo skin: steam for 5-7 minutes. Oily skin: steam for 7-10 minutes. **
Take short breaks if needed, just make sure to keep the steam under the dome.
Extracting the Blackheads:
- Wipe the solution with a damp cotton pad/ gauze, or face towel.
- Using your finger or cotton swabs, roll down the side of your nose while supporting the skin on the opposite end.
Sealing the pores:
- Soak a small towel with cold water and wring out the excess water. Press the cold towel into your skin to contract the pores.
- Wipe your skin with toner or Witch Hazel.
- Apply a pore minimizing mask according to instructions.
- Apply your desired serum and eye care.
- Finish with a light/ hydrating moisturizer.
Frequency & Precautions:
- Frequency should be kept to a minimum 3-4 weeks apart and only if necessary.
- If you have had a professional facial, wait 2 weeks post service.
- Baking soda has an alkaline effect on the skin therefore, it can alter the pH if used too frequently. Follow recommendations for frequency.
- Not recommended for Rosacea, dry, or sensitive skin types.
Love, Peace, and Great Skin!