The holiday party season has arrived and your skin has taken a turn for the worst!
Getting along with your skin during the winter months can be difficult, and with the festivities just around the corner you need a remedy ASAP! With a couple weeks to go before the big FIESTA we can help you recover the glow and maintain it throughout the New Year. :)
Customizing your winter skin care routine will help you combat the drying effects of the season and keep your skin happy and healthy throughout. To be most effective with your treatment, you must first understand the signals your skin is displaying which will allow you to respond appropriately. So let us address some common winter skin care concerns.
My skin is oilier than usual and I’ve been breaking out…Your skin is constantly fluctuating with changes in the temperature and moisture levels in the air. With the winter being a dry season both indoors and outdoors your skin is under an accelerated rate of trans epidermal water loss (TEWL), an evaporation and diffusion of skin hydration. Although water is what your skin requires, it compensates for the lost moisture by producing more oil. This causes a buildup of dead cells saturated in excess surface oils, clogged pores, and frequents breakouts.
In order to restore your skins moisturizer balance and hydration, choose products containing hydrating (water) ingredients such as Hyaluronic Acid and Vitamin E. Stay away from heavy creams and oil based products as these will only block and clog further.
Photofacials , AHA/BHA peels , and traditional facials are a great way to give your skin a fresh start, balance pH levels, and deliver a much needed boost of nutrients for the season. They also help clear clogged pores, excess oil, remove painful blemishes before they spread, and diminish existing scars.
Try our Treatment Selection Guide to learn more and find the right treatment program for you.
TIPS for taming OILY Winter Skin…
- Use light gel cleansers free of parabens and sulfate. A thorough cleanse in the morning and double cleanse at night gives your skin the fresh cleanse it desires without stripping away vital moisture. Try GLO Purifying Cleanser with Salicylic Acid(BHA) to help clear breakouts and balance pH.
- Using a hydrating toner or mist. This gives your skin a boost of hydration which helps your skin absorb moisture from deeper into the skin. Try GLO Conditioning Tonic with Hyaluronic Acid, Rose Hip, and soothing Chamomile.
- Moisturize regularly. Using a lightweight oil-free moisturizer morning and night while skin is still moist will provide the right amount of moisture without leaving your skin feeling heavy or greasy. Try GLO Oil-Free Moisturizer with Hyaluronic Acid.
My skin is flaking non-stop no matter how much moisturizer I apply….When faced with cooler temperatures your skins natural response is to slow its metabolic rate, which includes the rate at which your skin regenerates, this is known as the cell turnover rate. The cell turnover rate of your skin determines how frequently dried cells at the surface shed and regenerate. When this process slows down, you get a buildup of dead cells resulting in flaking skin, fine lines, and dry patches. These layers of dead cells also block vital nutrients and moisture from absorbing into the fresh cells, which is why no amount of product seems to relieve the dryness.
Introducing regular exfoliation to your skin care routine will help increase your cell turnover rate throughout the winter months and maintain it at an active level. Exfoliation is achieved using chemical or manual exfoliants, both offering resurfacing benefits, but differ in procedure and interaction with the skin. Manual exfoliants (skin scrubs) will give a great skin scrubbing massage while sloughing away dead skin cells. Manual exfoliants are not recommended for sensitive or acneic skin types.
Enzymatic exfoliants containing fruit enzymes, AHA, or BHA, react with the skin on a chemical level by dissolving the binding matter between the skin cells causing them to gently lift and rinse away. The active ingredients and intensity vary depending on concentration level and quality of the acids and enzymes.
Photofacials , AHA peels , and traditional facials are an excellent way to eliminate flaking skin and bring plump new cells to the surface. Amongst the many benefits these treatments offer, they also speed up the skins cell turnover rate, boost collagen production, resurface, brighten complexion, and restore vital moisture and hydration. Try our Treatment Selection Guide to learn more and find the right treatment program for you.
TIPS for smoothing FLAKING winter skin…
- Exfoliate every 2-3 days. This ensures that your skin is always fresh and reaping the benefits of your skin care product ingredients. For those who enjoy a regular scrub try Glo Daily Polishing Cleanser with Salicylic Acid (BHA), amino acids, and gentle Jojoba beads.
- Use skin scrubs that are made specifically for the face. It may be easy to reach for the body scrub in the shower, but the granules are not shaped or sized for use on sensitive skin such as the face. Facial scrubs contain micro beads that are smooth and will not cause tears in the skin.
- Lactic Acid for AHA benefits. This hydrating milk acid is excellent for gently dissolving surface cells, boosting hydration, and balancing pH, and brighten dull complexion. Try Glo Refresh Facial Polish with nourishing benefits of Borage Oil, Acai Oil, and gentle Jojoba beads.
- Hyaluronic Acid for added moisture. This excellent hydrating ingredient can attract and hold 1000 times its weight in water, making it a must have for dry skin. Try Glo Conditioning Hydration Cream with a powerful antioxidant combination of Vitamin E and Alpha Lipoic Acid.
Try our Home Care Selection Guide to select the correct skincare products for your skin type and concerns!
Visit our Online Skincare Store and view our section of Skincare lines and products.
Schedule your treatment online now!
Love, Peace, and Great Skin!