Dérmica Anti Aging Tips Edmonton
Anti Aging Tips
As some of you may know, we have a “Ask Dérmica” category on our blog. We always reply to our followers, and sometimes publish an entry when it pertains to a popular topic. This week we received an entry which we feel is a topic we would like to shed some light on. Thanks to “Sadly Sagging” for the latest entry!
“Sadly Sagging” asks “What are your best anti aging tips?”
In order to share her story, we will give you some of her details:
- 35 years old
Dear Sadly Sagging,
Thank you for your question. According to your entry, our recommendations for you are few, yet can be difficult to accomplish.
Firstly, we recommend you try and get a good night sleep. During our sleep, we go through REM (Rapid Eye Movement) sleep which is basically our brain going through all of the information we acquired and experienced throughout the day and deleting unnecessary information. This is a whole body experience which means all of your cells require rest, including your skin cells. When you don’t get good shut-eye, your skin cells don’t get to regenerate which decreases your skin’s ability to recover from daily damage which in turn doubles your signs of aging.
Secondly, we recommend you try to decrease your sugar intake. Sugar binds to the cells in your skin and produces Advanced Glycation End (AGE) products through the process of glycation, making cells stiffer, less pliable and more subject to damage and premature aging. Sugar kills collagen and elastin, and slows down the body’s defense system and natural supplies of antioxidants to your body’s defense towards environmental attacks such as UV exposure, environmental pollutants, cosmetic influences, etc.
Thirdly, we know this one is especially tough during the summer months, tan responsibly. We would like to take this opportunity to dismiss the myth that you don’t tan if you wear sun block. This is UNTRUE!! Allow us to shed some light:
- When you engage in unprotected tanning, you have a 74% higher risk of developing melanomas, a.k.a. skin cancer. Melanomas are skin lesions that can develop into carcinogenic regions; always have you moles checked out
- Unprotected tanning can lead to a leathery appearance to your skin due to dehydration
- Unprotected tanning can cause deep internal damage to your skin. FYI- every time your body creates a tan, your body is sending melanin cells to the surface of your skin to create a protective barrier that acts like sunglasses to your skin, your skin’s natural defense to harmful UV rays. In other words, your tan is truly your skin showing signs of its defense against an attack
- Today’s sun is more damaging to your skin then it was 20 years ago due to the depleting ozone
- The damage you are causing now will surface in 5 years in the form of sun spots, age spots(which can be confused with liver spots), and increased freckling on the skin
- Unprotected tanning destroys collagen and elastin which add to the suppleness and elasticity and volume to your skin
Finally, the most difficult tip of all, you have to try and decrease (if not quit) your tobacco intake. We all know the downfall of smoking, but to some of us, we may need to hear what it does to our physicality before we can really understand, so here goes:
- Smoking asphyxiates the skin, blocking it from proper flow of oxygen, blood circulation and nutrients such as H2O
- Smoking causes premature aging such as age spots, deep wrinkles, creping around the labial area due to repeated usage of the oral muscles and constant exposure to cigarette toxins within the tobacco smoke
- Smoking causes crows feet due to squinting to keep smoke out of your eyes
- Smoking causes dilation of the blood vessels in the eyes making your eyes look blood shot
- Smoking causes vasodilation (dilation of the blood vessels of the capillaries along the surface of the skin particularly on the cheek and nose)
- Smoking causes sallow skin and lips (a yellowish dull appearance and decrease in vibrancy to the skin). For women that are concerned with the fullness of your skin, you may want to consider what smoking is doing to that full, plump, youthful pout
Jhoenna has taken her 15 years of experience in the beauty industry and known expertise to develop the Dérmica line of results-driven esthetic treatments that are sure to surpass your expectations!