Although blackheads are not necessarily caused by poor skin hygiene, these darkened little oil specs can make the skin look and feel rough, oily, and dirty. We have countless skin products and methods of removal, but what should we really be looking for when choosing products, ingredients, and services?
In this article we will focus on defining the ‘blackhead’. From selecting the right ingredients to DIY pore cleansing techniques, our tips will help you minimize and control blackheads.
What is a blackhead?
Blackheads are quite simply clogged hair follicles in the skin. These tiny follicles can become clogged due to enlargement and/ or years of buildup.
Our hair follicles are a type of pore found throughout the body, except for the palms and soles. They are most visible in areas with higher oil production or areas where the oil collects throughout the day such as the creases of the nose.
A combination of waste.
This particular type of pore consists of a tube-like structure in the skin that sprouts hair, excretes oil, and retains a combination of waste within the its tiny canal. This combination includes dead cells, oil, makeup, dirt, and basically anything that can melt into the pores. Over time the debris can become solidified when neglected by being left inside the pore.
Loss of elasticity.
Adding to the cause is the loss of skin elasticity. Over time the opening of the pores can become weakened due to underlying skin condition, skin trauma, or pressure from buildup. Once the pores have lost their ability to contract it becomes difficult to regain this elasticity without resorting to advanced skin therapy such as LASER or IPL.
Dead keratin, not dirt!
Blackheads may vary in colour, diameter, and depth, but they all have the same characteristic opening that can be easily spotted. The dark pinpoint that we see at the surface of the skin, is actually a result of dead keratin cells being exposed to the open air (oxidized). This reaction causes a browning similar to the effect caused by leaving cut fruit such as a banana or an apple open to the elements. Contrary to popular belief, the dark tip is not dirt!
Blackheads are different from whiteheads due to the opening being present and the causes vary. If a blackhead becomes infected it can then transition into a pustule aka a “pimple”. Improper extraction and/ or excess pressure are most commonly the cause of infection.
Now that you’re familiar with the composition of a blackhead, let’s move on to some solutions and prevention. Stay tuned!
We understand that at this time the information and discussions surrounding the coronavirus (COVID-19) through networks and streams may feel overwhelming, we truly appreciate your time and patience.
As business owners and personal service providers, we hold a social responsibility to guests, staff, and the general public to ensure we take all precautions in preventing any form of cross contamination regardless of these current events. In response to the current crisis, we have added extra precautionary measures to our already high standard for hygiene & infection control at our facility.
We would like to take this opportunity to highlight points in our standard practices for proper hygiene & infection control at Dérmica. We established these guidelines in order to prevent the spread of harmful infections such as viruses. We will also be adapting to the current situation by incorporating added precautionary measures.
Our standard Spa Policy includes:
• Facility is cleaned daily and between guests with the use of professional- grade disinfectants and cleaning agents recommended and approved by Alberta Health Standards.
• Technicians wash and sanitize hands between clients and throughout the day.
• Technicians wear medical grade gloves for ALL services provided at Dérmica.
• Appropriate and industry standard levels of infection control are implemented at all times in regard to tools, surfaces, and facility maintenance.
• Facility and service protocols meet Alberta’s Personal Service Regulations and has cleared a thorough inspection by an authorized Environmental Public Health official.
• We do not request cancelation fees from our guests. 24-hour notice is appreciated.
• Outdoor footwear is removed prior to entry into the facility and clean sandals are provided and sanitized after use.
COVID-19Precautionary changes and additions to Spa Policy:
• If you have traveled abroad within 14 days of your booking, you are asked to reschedule.
• If you are showing any flu-like symptoms you are asked to reschedule until all symptoms and concerns have been addressed.
• Should you choose to attend appointments and you belong to a vulnerable population such as diabetics, seniors, and other immunosuppressed individuals, your service selection may be limited. We ask that you follow guidelines and instruction provided by your healthcare provider during this period. These extra precautions are to protect your health.
• Hand cleanser will be available upon arrival and prior to using transaction device.
• Clients are asked to keep their phones tucked away prior to entering the treatment area and while in-service.
• Your service provider will wear a protective mask regardless of the service provided.
• Your selection of technician may be limited in the event of illness and we therefore ask that you open your selection to other available providers if necessary.
• We ask that you do not bring extra guests into the facility unless they are also receiving a service.
If you have any further questions or need some skin/beauty tips for at-home maintenance, will be open to taking your beauty calls and emails. Go to dermica.ca for updates, shop for your favorite Glo Skin Beauty products, or scroll through our beauty blog.
Did you know?
Inspection reports for Alberta salons and spas can be accessed by the public upon request through the AHS Environmental Public Health office.
Wishing you all peace, love, great skin, and good health!
What is the difference between waxing and dermaplaning?
A FINE DIFFERENCE…
Waxing, unlike dermaplaning, is not able to pick up the very fine vellus hair.
Vellus hair is typically about 2 shades lighter than the natural hair colour or has no pigment at all. It’s really fine and has been eroding over the years through friction so its really hard for the wax (unless it is a specialty wax) to pick up these hairs.
Also, waxing, although there are great formulas used in waxing services nowadays, there is still that minor trauma caused to the skin. That tug that happens isn’t always the greatest in really sensitive areas such as the eyes, the mouth, and the nose. While it does provide a bit of exfoliation, it does so in a really uncontrolled manner so there is a lot more chance of injuring the skin.
THE BRIGHT SIDE…
Dermaplaning delivers a very fine and detailed exfoliation surpassing the level of exfoliation delivered by waxing. For this reason, dermaplaning results is a brighter and even complexion.
Enter for your chance to win a Lash and Brow spa package 🎁 during the Skirtsafire festival in Old Strathcona.
The raffle draw will take place on March 11, 2020.
Your Lash & Brow SPA PACKAGE features top picks for defining the eyes and brow line. No need for an eyelash curler or browliner for weeks ahead!
You package includes:
👉browSCULPT -Defines with a combination of brow wax & custom tint. (Reg. $29)
👉lashLIFT- Lifts, curls and sets your lashes with a gentle perming process. (Reg. $85)
Terms and Conditions:
Winners will be be contacted on information provided on ballot. Winners will have 30 days from date of contact to claim the prize. Winners will be posted on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter). Before and After pictures may be shared online.
Save 25% on our new dermaplaning treatment, dérmaPLANE from March 1-31, 2020. Ask your service provider how you can save an additional 10% during your service.
This offer is not valid with any other offer/promotion. No pre-purchasing.
What will dermaplaning do for my skin?
The process brightens the complexion, evens skin tone, and leaves the skin feeling supple and smooth.
How does dermaplaning work?
The technician gently grazes a medical-grade scalpel edge over the surface of the skin. This process delivers a fine shave that removes the dull surface skin and vellus facial hair.
When will I notice my results?
A: The results of dérmaPLANE are seen immediately following the procedure. The goal is to leave the skin feeling softer and looking radiant. Contrast is most evident when comparing the appearance before and after service, in those who have major build up and visible hair growth.
Q: Are there any side effects?
A: There are typically no side effects from the procedure. Your skin may feel slightly exposed and sensitive for 1-2 hours following. It is recommended that with any professional skin care service extended sun exposure is avoided for a minimum 24-hour period.